Tuesday, December 30, 2014

MY LAGOS OF GOOD PEOPLE


A couple of weeks ago a Yahoo joke of a travel reporter wrote an article and labelled Lagos the worst city in the world.
I prayed to meet him, take him round Lagos and give him a good beating afterwards.
Anyway, I've been robbed once in my house since moving to Lagos and I've been accosted by pick pockets too.
But I have also met very good people in this congested city that I love to hate.
Today, I went to claim my goods at Alagomeji, Yaba and I saw another example of Lagos kindness.
A blind man was finding it hard to cross to my side of the busy road – no zebra crossing or traffic warden.
I planned to cross over after taking a picture for my #CandidLAGOS blog (www.candilagos.tumblr.com).
Just then, this woman, a Muslim by appearance, took him by his hand and guided him across even as some foolish people drove around (see the okada?).
I took a picture and thanked her wordlessly when they crossed over.
That was not all, she asked him of his destination and found a bus going there. I’m not quite sure but it seems she paid the fare for him.
Yes, that is the Lagos I live in. Not the one filled with only crooks, thieves and criminal minds.
So, come and see Lagos — the city of hustle!

Yours truly,
 Kukogho Iruesiri Samson
www.brainypoet.blogspot.com @BrainyPoet @CandidLagos

more pictures and Lagos stories on www.candidlagos.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT. YOUR OPINIONS ARE IMPORTANT TO ME.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...