Monday, May 7, 2012

ELEYINJU OGE



Ajike, eleyinju oge, [Owner of the bewitching eyeballs]
Owner of the magic jugs
Whose fermented wine
Shall make even Sango, eleyinju ina, [Sango, the one with the fiery eyes]
Stagger at a sip.

I am the hunter:
Erin gbo orin mi, o sa wogbo[The elephant hears my chant and flees]

Let me drink and be drunk
Talo le bi mi?[Who can challenge me]

Anike
, fruited paw-paw,
Too slender to climb
How shall we
Pluck these your fruits
That say,"Kami, kami, kami?" [Pluck me, pluck me, pluck me]

I, son of Ife,
Come to steal your fruits.
Did I not pluck the pako in my mouth  [Chewing stick]
From the Iroko's crown?

You are a wall,
Ogiri, ti o lanu fun alangba. [Wall that opens not for the lizard]
A thousand grooms
Have climbed,
All landed, crippled, on this side.

I come to scale your wall, 
Emi lomo Baba ademu [I am the son of the palm wine tapper]
To  gun igi ope pelu okun ogede; [That climbed the palm with banana twines]
I fear no fall.

You are Agbalumo,
Ripe, in the season of mangoes.
All await under the tree,
Mangoed tongues,
Seeking the sour-sweetness.

Emi, obo to ji eran [I monkey, that stole meat]
Ninu apere ode aperin, [From the basket of the Elephant hunter]
I shall make your sour sweetness
The pleasure of my tongue.

2 comments:

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT. YOUR OPINIONS ARE IMPORTANT TO ME.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...