Friday, September 23, 2011

REMAIN SILENT OR YOU DIE!



The White Room 

My room is cold. It feels like there are ice packs inside my straitjacket. I have complained severally but no one listens here. The doctors say it is my imagination that is playing pranks on me. But I tell you, it is not. Right now I feel like there is liquid ice in my skull instead of my grey matter. I wonder where the cold is coming from, but it is there. The doctors can say whatever they like.  I am the one feeling the cold in my veins.

I feel an itch in my hair. At first I ignore it but it wouldn't go away. The straitjacket wouldn't let me scratch so I squirm angrily. The itch attacks again with a vengeance. Lice. Running loose in my tangled hair. I kneel and use my head to rub the foamy floor. The itching stops. 

I had stopped taking showers long time ago. The attendants ignore me but once in a while the doctors force me into the water  to remove the grime but I always give them a good fight. More than once, the attendants have had to visit the infirmary after the shower tussles.

There is no furniture in the padded room. They say I may commit suicide. I laugh. How will I commit suicide when I am here because I don't want to die. But they wouldn't understand.

Sometimes I wonder what I am doing here. I am not insane as they think. I am only trying to save them from suffering what I am suffering now. My family thinks otherwise. If only they knew. But they didnt and that was why they had me locked here  some years ago. It may be more than that. There is no calendar in my room so I am not sure.

In The Beginning
It all started after in my final year in the university. In those days, I had this very good friend Mike. Mike and I were like two sides of a coin and we did everything together. We were in the same department and we were almost always in each other’s company even though we had separate accommodations. Academically, this helped us because we read together. We were like the average campus guys; we never smoked nor took alcohol.

Our only vice was womanizing. We chased after girls like flies after the corpse. I had a regular girlfriend, Tina, but Mike believed in changing girls. His aim then was how to score. He found it difficult to stay with a girl after making out with her. I warned him about the inappropriateness of this at the time, but he would have none of my advice.

Then we met Cynthia. That day we had gone to the library to read. We were about to leave when a beautiful girl walked in. Mike whistled at her but she just walked past us like we were not existent and sat down two tables away. Mike said he liked her so I told him to walk up to her table and talk to her. He chickened out.

I got up and walked towards the girl. She was beautiful in too many ways to describe. In no time, I got her laughing. She was very responsive and courteous. Soon, Mike walked over. I introduced him grudgingly because we had agreed that he wouldn’t come over if I talked to her. I introduced him to her. We chatted for a while and left after prying from her room number and phone number from her.

As we walked down the steps, Mike begged me to leave Cynthia for him. At first I refused, not because I wanted to date her. No, I had my own girlfriend. The truth was that Cynthia looked like a good girl and I knew what Mike could do to girls like that. Later, I succumbed. That evening I did not go with him to see Cynthia as we had earlier scheduled.

Cynthia and Mike
Cynthia fell for Mike’s charms. He was good with the women. Before long, they became a common sight in the university’s love garden and social centre. Once in a while, Mike would come over to my place with her. They were so close that we called then ‘the two musketeers’. I began to see less and less of Mike.

One day Mike and I were walking towards the senate building and he started complaining. He said Cynthia was proving to be a very hard nut to crack. I asked him what he meant by that and true to my suspicions; Mike was tired of playing the perfect boyfriend without getting to have sex with Cynthia. I was pissed with him and asked him to keep me out of the sex talk.

 I was angry because Cynthia was a very good girl. We argued back and forth so I left him angrily. Two days later, I met Cynthia in the library and she told me that Mike had been avoiding her. She was emotional about him. it was clear that she loved him. She told me she was going to see him after leaving the library.

Thirty minutes later, Cynthia left. I followed suit after twenty minutes. I couldn’t read anything. I decided to go back to the hostel. I was just a few meters from the Bakassi hostel gate when I saw Cynthia hurriedly walking towards me. Her eyes were trained to the ground and she almost bumped into me. I held her and lifted her chin, she was crying.

“What happened?” I asked.

She pushed my hand off and walked away. After a few steps, she stopped and turned to face me. 

“You are a good guy. Don’t get involved in this mess. It’s over between me and Mike and if I were you, I wouldn’t try to do anything about it.”

As she spoke, huge teardrops fell from her eyes. When she finished talking, she turned curtly and walked away leaving me confused. The first thing that came to my mind was that Mike might have raped or attempted to rape her. It was not beyond him. I ran to his room and turned the door knob. The door was locked from within. I banged on the door severally, Mike did not open up.

I dialed his number. It rang but he did not pick up the call. I could hear the phone ringing from where I stood. When I got tired of talking and banging on the door, I left. Later that night I called again but Simon would not pick up. I left him after all Cynthia had said to leave it.

I did not see Mike in the lecture hall the next day so I decided to go to his room again. The door was still locked. I banged at it but he wouldn’t open. I began to wonder if he was dead. I started kicking the door, shouting at the same time. The door would not give way. After a while I heard movement and the door opened.

Succubus 
Mike stood before me with a wrapper on his waist. I wanted to shout at him but I couldn’t, seing him the he was. Mike was ill, it was clear from the discoloration on his face. I asked him what happened but he wouldn’t tell me. I kept pestering him so he stood up weakly and loosened the wrapper. The wrapper fell at his feet and I gasped. He was naked and his whole pubic region was covered by runny sores.

I wanted to know how he came about it but he declined to talk. He said he had been warned not to say anything about it and if he did, he would die. The person he told too would die whenever the secret is revealed to another person. I did not believe in such things so I asked him to spill it.

I listened as he narrated the event of the previous day to me. 

Cynthia had come in crying about how much she loved him. They’d made up their quarrel and then he had started touching her sexually. At first she’d allowed him then she’d asked him to stop but he was already aroused. She said she was a virgin and wanted to remain so until marriage. He had refused to stop and then it developed into a struggle. Somehow, he had managed to force his way into her.

As soon as he penetrated her, she became still and her breath stopped. He had gotten up from the bed thinking she was dead. Then she started twitching like one with epilepsy. In his confused state, he had tried to open the door only to find that the door had somehow disappeared. Before his very eyes she transformed into something he couldn’t describe.

He had passed out and by the time he woke up, she was gone. The door was still locked behind her. It was later that he started feeling the pain in his groin.
I was so shocked that I did not realize that he had finished telling the story. he was crying now. I looked into his face and realized that he had emaciated so much in just twenty four hours.

In Search of Redemption
We remained quiet for a while. Later on I decided that we should see my pastor about the issue. It was hard convincing Mike to leave his room but he did. He struggled into a pair of baggy jean. He couldn’t wear anything else. We boarded motorcycles to the pastor’s house.

We met the pastor on his way out. He said he had a program to attend so he could spare only a few minutes. Mike told him the story briefly. He listened raptly and laughed when Mike finished. He told us not to worry and said a short prayer. He asked us to return later in the evening for proper prayers. We were to come along with a bottle of olive oil he said.

We left the place with high hopes. Mike even said he felt a bit better. On our way back, we stopped to buy a bottle of Goya oil from a Hausa trader. The campus was on the other side of a busy highway and we had to cross before boarding a motorcycle. Mike couldn’t run because of his sores so I crossed the road before him. He had almost crossed the road when suddenly screamed and turned back running. 

The Devil Knows
He ran straight into the path of a speeding bus. The bus hit him right in the middle and flung him backwards. He moved almost twenty meters in the air before landing on the hard tarmac. I heard a sickening crack as his skull split open.

Mike still clutched the bottle of oil in his hand. Strangely enough, it was not broken. Even with his injuries, he tried to get up. He couldn’t so he raised one hand and pointed past me. Everything had happened fast and I was still dazed. People were running around shouting but I couldn’t move.

I felt a hand on my shoulder but I did not turn. A cold chill descended on me. Then I heard a voice, it was Cynthia’s.

“If you tell anyone about what happened, you will die,” her voice was strange.

I turned. Cynthia stood behind me with a smile on her face. I backed away from her and ran away as fast as my legs could carry me.

Three days later, I was brought to this place.

Silence...
Its been three years since then and still I have said nothing. Of course, I couldn’t tell them. Or could I? So here I am, they think I am mad. They do not know that it is just the secret that it eating me up. 

If they pester me too much, I will tell them. Yes I will tell them and die. It is much better that living like this. 




“You are a good guy. Don’t get involved in this mess. It’s over between me and Mike and if I were you, I wouldn’t try to do anything about it.”

As she spoke, huge teardrops fell from her eyes. When she finished talking, she turned curtly and walked away leaving me confused. The first thing that came to my mind was that Mike might have raped or attempted to rape her. It was not beyond him. I ran to his room and turned the door knob. The door was locked from within. I banged on the door severally, Mike did not open up.

I dialed his number. It rang but he did not pick up the call. I could hear the phone ringing from where I stood. When I got tired of talking and banging on the door, I left. Later that night I called again but Simon would not pick up. I left him after all Cynthia had said to leave it.

I did not see Mike in the lecture hall the next day so I decided to go to his room again. The door was still locked. I banged at it but he wouldn’t open. I began to wonder if he was dead. I started kicking the door, shouting at the same time. The door would not give way. After a while I heard movement and the door opened.

Succubus 
Mike stood before me with a wrapper on his waist. I wanted to shout at him but I couldn’t, seing him the he was. Mike was ill, it was clear from the discoloration on his face. I asked him what happened but he wouldn’t tell me. I kept pestering him so he stood up weakly and loosened the wrapper. The wrapper fell at his feet and I gasped. He was naked and his whole pubic region was covered by runny sores.

I wanted to know how he came about it but he declined to talk. He said he had been warned not to say anything about it and if he did, he would die. The person he told too would die whenever the secret is revealed to another person. I did not believe in such things so I asked him to spill it.

I listened as he narrated the event of the previous day to me. 

Cynthia had come in crying about how much she loved him. They’d made up their quarrel and then he had started touching her sexually. At first she’d allowed him then she’d asked him to stop but he was already aroused. She said she was a virgin and wanted to remain so until marriage. He had refused to stop and then it developed into a struggle. Somehow, he had managed to force his way into her.

As soon as he penetrated her, she became still and her breath stopped. He had gotten up from the bed thinking she was dead. Then she started twitching like one with epilepsy. In his confused state, he had tried to open the door only to find that the door had somehow disappeared. Before his very eyes she transformed into something he couldn’t describe.

He had passed out and by the time he woke up, she was gone. The door was still locked behind her. It was later that he started feeling the pain in his groin.
I was so shocked that I did not realize that he had finished telling the story. he was crying now. I looked into his face and realized that he had emaciated so much in just twenty four hours.

In Search of Redemption
We remained quiet for a while. Later on I decided that we should see my pastor about the issue. It was hard convincing Mike to leave his room but he did. He struggled into a pair of baggy jean. He couldn’t wear anything else. We boarded motorcycles to the pastor’s house.

We met the pastor on his way out. He said he had a program to attend so he could spare only a few minutes. Mike told him the story briefly. He listened raptly and laughed when Mike finished. He told us not to worry and said a short prayer. He asked us to return later in the evening for proper prayers. We were to come along with a bottle of olive oil he said.

We left the place with high hopes. Mike even said he felt a bit better. On our way back, we stopped to buy a bottle of Goya oil from a Hausa trader. The campus was on the other side of a busy highway and we had to cross before boarding a motorcycle. Mike couldn’t run because of his sores so I crossed the road before him. He had almost crossed the road when suddenly screamed and turned back running. 

The Devil Knows
He ran straight into the path of a speeding bus. The bus hit him right in the middle and flung him backwards. He moved almost twenty meters in the air before landing on the hard tarmac. I heard a sickening crack as his skull split open.

Mike still clutched the bottle of oil in his hand. Strangely enough, it was not broken. Even with his injuries, he tried to get up. He couldn’t so he raised one hand and pointed past me. Everything had happened fast and I was still dazed. People were running around shouting but I couldn’t move.

I felt a hand on my shoulder but I did not turn. A cold chill descended on me. Then I heard a voice, it was Cynthia’s.

“If you tell anyone about what happened, you will die,” her voice was strange.

I turned. Cynthia stood behind me with a smile on her face. I backed away from her and ran away as fast as my legs could carry me.

Three days later, I was brought to this place.

Silence...
Its been three years since then and still I have said nothing. Of course, I couldn’t tell them. Or could I? So here I am, they think I am mad. They do not know that it is just the secret that it eating me up. 

If they pester me too much, I will tell them. Yes I will tell them and die. It is much better that living like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT. YOUR OPINIONS ARE IMPORTANT TO ME.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...